Wednesday, May 20, 2009

No country for old men

These are the I-70 bridges over Utah's Eagle Canyon. We may be hauling
concrete panels to replace the bridge decks for Granite Const. Thirty
six years ago I worked on this freeway and I wondered how to get to
the bottom of this canyon. A guide took us on a fifty mile loop on
four wheelers and then I got this nice surprise. The bridges are made
of Corten steel that forms a barrier of surface rust and preserves the
inner steel free of corrosion. That saves money in the long run
because they don't need paint. Up the wash is an old cowboy cabin made
of logs that had grown in a spiral shape because they are always
turning to move to the light.

3 comments:

Dallas said...

I'm sure someone has taken the quick way down from the bridge.

Cousin Timmy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cousin Timmy said...

That is an excellent photo! It must have been taken by a professional amature. I need to hire that guy to take some pics of me.